The Moroccan child who had been trapped in the well for four days has died.

Despite strenuous efforts to save him, a five-year-old Moroccan kid who was stuck in a well for four days has died.

Soon after his evacuation from the well, a royal declaration announced his death.

Hundreds of people gathered at the well to demand the release of the youngster, Rayan, and thousands more followed the story online.

The youngster fell 32 meters (104 feet) into the well’s small entrance. Fears of a landslide have delayed the rescue effort.

On Saturday evening, rescuers were able to pull the youngster from the well.

There had been no news regarding his condition at the time, and the spectators erupted in applause upon his apparent rescue.

Morocco’s agonizing wait for news of Rayan is captured in photographs.

People expressed their joy on social media using the hashtag #SaveRayan, which has been trending across the country and abroad.

But, minutes afterwards, the statement announcing Rayan’s death arrived, bringing with it sadness.

The hashtag was then used by Twitter users to pay tribute and express sadness.

“His Majesty King Mohammed VI called the parents of the boy who died after falling into the well following the unfortunate event that claimed the life of the child Rayan Oram,” the royal palace stated in a statement.

It went on to say that the king had offered his heartfelt condolences and genuine concern.

At the time of the disaster on Tuesday, Rayan’s father was repairing the well. The next day, he told local journalists that his son had fallen down the shaft “because I took my eyes off him for that one second,” adding, “I haven’t slept a wink.”

Rescue operations in the small northern hamlet of Tamorot, around 100 kilometers (62 miles) from the capital of Chefchaouen, began on Tuesday evening, led by Morocco’s Civil Protection Directorate.

The youngster was alive and conscious when a camera was dropped into the well on Thursday, but there has been no news on his status since then.

Rescuers attempted to provide the youngster with oxygen, food, and drink, but it was unclear whether he was able to use them.

Because of the rough and sandy soils, rescuers found it too unsafe to open the water well’s tiny shaft.

Bulldozers were instead utilized to dig a massive trench next to the well.

To reach the boy, rescuers began excavating horizontally. Some worked 24 hours a day, using bright floodlights at night.

Several times, the operation had to be delayed temporarily to ensure that the hillside was not crumbling and that no soil was entering the well. Large pipes were also used to provide a safe passage to the shaft for rescue teams.

Hundreds of people turned out to see the operation, singing religious music, praying, and chanting “Allahu Akbar.” Some even set up camp at the location.

Hafid El-Azzouz, a local resident, told AFP that he went there to show “solidarity with this child, who is dear to Morocco and the whole world”.

The incident recalls a similar tragedy in Spain in 2019, when a two-year-old toddler drowned after slipping into a borehole near Malaga.